I. Assignment Specifications
- Choose three concert band recordings. Any of the following formats are acceptable: CD, Audio Tape, Video Tape, LP. For each recording, note the following information:
- Title of CD/Tape/Video/LP,
- Order Number or CD Number (if given) ,
- Production Company (e.g., Angel),
- Source (e.g., Popplar's Music Store, Music Library, Personal Copy)
- Review each recording. Your review should include both an analysis and an evaluation component. In your analysis, address the following:
- Interpretation (e.g., stylistic authenticity, appropriateness of tempo),
- Accuracy (e.g., in intonation, pitch, rhythm, articulation),
- Other Musical Considerations (e.g., balance, blend, tone quality), and
- Recording Quality. In your evaluation, consider the musical, pedagogical, and entertainment value of the recording.
- Type each review on the attached HTML template, and submit the three completed templates to me via e-mail by Friday, November 22, 1996.
MUS 521 students only: In addition to the "marked-up" version, submit a hard-copy "publication-ready" version of ONE review to me. For specific publication requirements, consult the publication policy for any standard music education journal (e.g., Music Educator's Journal, "For Our Readers")
- Before completing this assignment, you might find it useful to consult some professional recording reviews.
II. Class Presentation
Choose one piece from your reviewed recordings. The piece should be a work you think is worthwhile. Be prepared to discuss why the piece merits study and/or performance. Class presentations will take place on November 18th and 20th. Sign-up sheets are on my office door (HFA 280).
III. Marking Up Your Work for Our Web Site
- Follow this link to the HTML template. Then, retrieve the HTML file by going to the "View" menu and dragging down to "Document Source." The file should automatically appear on your screen in SimpleText. Save this file.
- Make a copy of the entire file for each recording you review. To do that, open the file, then "select all" (apple-a), "copy" (apple-c), create a "new file" (apple-n), and "paste" (apple-v).
- Type (or copy and paste) the information about the recording and your review in the appropriate spots.
- Delete the instructions (i.e., the sentences in ALLCAPS).
- Save the file.
- Use the attachment feature on Eudora to send your three completed reviews back to me by the end of the day on Friday, November 22nd.
E-mail me at email@example.com if you have any questions or problems.